Monday, December 6, 2010

Eastern flavor

With my cohorts relegated to the aforementioned penalty box (the details of which I have been agreed, under duress, not to discuss here) , I set out in search of midday sustenance.

My car's engine hummed with vigor, as if it shared my urgency to complete today's quest. I rolled a few blocks toward downtown, noticing a curious black smoke cloud that was rising into the sky, peeking through alleys into my line of vision.

With the city's customary parking gridlock in full effect, I parked three blocks from my destination and emerged from the vehicle into the first biting chill of a new winter. Something darted across my peripheral vision -- up high, the barest hint of a shadow, gone before my hunger-addled mind could process the information. I set out toward my goal, a row of stoplights impeding my progress for seemingly eternal moments.

One foot, then the other. Repeat. Almost there.

The hairs on the back of my neck tingled, and I knew that this was not a result of the frigid air.

"You might as well show yourself," I intoned, more to myself than to the faceless buildings that surrounded me.

A slight rustle, a whisper of a whisper, and I knew. I turned around to face my assailants.

Damn it. Ninjas. Why does it always have to be ninjas?

The stoplight changed again, transforming the forbidding scarlet hand into a cordial invitation to proceed. Reaching my destination, I shouldered open the wooden door and was greeted with the welcoming embrace of central heating.

"Chicken Masaman, Thai hot?" a familiar voice asked.

"Why yes," I answered, wiping the last of the blood from my katana. "That would be lovely."

1 comment: